The 66th Berlinale International Film Festival is just around the corner (11-21st of February), and it’s getting more and more exciting every day, since they started dropping the names and titles of the privileged programme. And today was one of these amazing moments – they announced the official shortfilms! And one of our young Hungarian talents, the creator of the Oscar-shortlisted shortfilm Symphony no. 42. is also made it to the list with her new short called LOVE! Congratulations Réka Bucsi, we are very excited for you!
25 films from 21 countries will compete for the Golden and the Silver Bear, the Nominee for the European Film Awards and, for the second consecutive year, the Audi Short Film Award worth € 20,000.
“Placed together, the films at Berlinale Shorts 2016 constitute one body of work, a cinematic essay – providing scope for an endeavour that reaches far beyond the individual film: The longing for arrival is reflected in many of the selected films – regardless of where in the world they come from. Everyone wants to arrive,” curator Maike Mia Höhne, commenting on the selection.
Here’s the complete selection:
- Another City, Pham Ngoc Lan, Vietnam, 25′ (WP)
- Bai Niao (White Bird), Wu Linfeng, People’s Republic of China, 30’ (WP)
- Balada de um Batráquio (Batrachian’s Ballad), Leonor Teles, Portugal, 11’ (WP)
- El Buzo (The Diver), Esteban Arrangoiz, Mexico, 16’ (IP)
- Das águas que passam (Running Waters), Diego Zon, Brazil, 23’ (WP)
- Estate (Summer), Ronny Trocker, France / Belgium, 7’ (WP)
- Freud und Friends (Freud and Friends), Gabriel Abrantes, Portugal, 23’ (EP)
- He Who Eats Children, Ben Russell, USA, 25’ (WP)
- Hopptornet (Ten Meter Tower), Axel Danielson & Maximilien Van Aertryck, Sweden, 17’ (IP)
- In the Soldier’s Head, Christine Rebet, USA / France, 4’ (WP)
- Jin zhi xia mao (Anchorage Prohibited), Chiang Wei Liang, Taiwan, 16’ (IP)
- Kaputt (Broken – The Women’s Prison at Hoheneck), Volker Schlecht & Alexander Lahl, Germany, 7’ (WP)
- LOVE, Réka Bucsi, France / Hungary, 14’ (WP)
- A Man Returned, Mahdi Fleifel, United Kingdom / Netherlands / Denmark, 30’ (IP)
- Moms On Fire, Joanna Rytel, Sweden, 12’ (IP)
- Los murmullos (Murmurings), Rubén Gámez, Mexico, 25’ – Out of competition
- Notre Héritage (Our Legacy), Jonathan Vinel in collaboration with Caroline Poggi, France, 24’ (WP)
- Oustaz, Bentley Brown, Chad, 21’ (WP) personne, Christoph Girardet & Matthias Müller, Germany, 15’ (WP)
- Prelude to the General, Pimpaka Towira, Thailand, 11’ (WP)
- Reluctantly Queer, Akosua Adoma Owusu, Ghana / USA, 8’ (WP)
- Six Cents in the Pocket, Ricky D’Ambrose, USA, 14’ (IP)
- Tsomet Haruhot (Winds Junction), Rotem Murat, Israel, 22’ (IP)
- Die Unzugänglichkeit der griechischen Antike und ihre Folgen (The Inaccessibility of Ancient Greece and Its Impact), Gerrit Frohne-Brinkmann & Paul Spengemann, Germany, 13’ (WP)
- Vintage Print, Siegfried A. Fruhauf, Austria, 13’ (IP)
- Vita Lakamaya, Akihito Izuhara, Japan, 8’ (WP)
The logo and the poster is the official artwork of the 66th Berlinale Film Festival.